Minecraft has plenty of potion options you can brew to enhance your effectiveness. Several can give you a boost in combat while others can help you finish your mine quicker. Each potion has its advantages but a Strength Potion is obviously a great choice when heading somewhere dangerous.
Strength Potions, as their name suggests, are used to increase attack power. Fighting the ender dragon or the wither can be a little easier with this potion. Strength Potions last for 3 minutes. After consuming your attacks deal an extra heart and a half of damage!
Note: Strength Potions only benefit your melee weapons such as swords or tridents, they will not boost your ranged damage from bows.
- Blaze Powder x2
- Water Bottle x1
- Nether Wart x1
The most difficult part of brewing this potion is finding a Nether Fortress. The Blaze and the Nether Wart necessary to make strength potions will be found in these fortresses.
Nothing worth having is easy so here is the long explanation of how to source the items and make that delicious Minecraft potion:
- Head to the Nether in order to find Blaze. You can build a Nether Portal by placing obsidian four blocks wide and five blocks tall.
- Next light up the Nether Portal with flint and steel. To make flint and steel you will need Iron and Flint. Place your Flint and the Iron Ingot into your crafting menu, any of the crafting spaces will do.
- Make sure you light one of the inside Obsidian Blocks to light up your Portal. Stand in the portal for a few seconds and you will be blasted into the Nether!
- Once inside, you will need to locate a Nether Fortress. They can be extremely rare, but if you’re lucky your portal may spawn right on top of one. Fingers crossed!
- A red/purple hue of the brick is the sign you have found your fortress. Next, you will need to locate the blaze that will spawn intermittently within the fortress.
A blaze spawner will make this process much easier if you can find one.
- Once you collect all your ingredients, return to safety and your crafting table.
- Take Glass Bottles near any water source and right-click to fill up the bottles.
If you do not already have glass bottles, you can smelt sand in a furnace to make glass and arrange 3 pieces in a V shape on the crafting menu.
- Use the Blaze Rod, then combine it with three pieces of Cobblestone to make a brewing stand.
- The Brewing Stand requires Blaze Powder, so place a Blaze Rod into the crafting menu to make the powder. You will create two Blaze Powder per Blaze Rod.
- Place Blaze Powder in the top left slot, this is your fuel for the Brewing Stand.
- The Water Bottle is added to the bottom slots.
- Add Nether Wart in the final slot.
- Now all that’s left is to wait for the bottle to fill and you will now have an Awkward Potion, the base for the Strength Potion… a little ironic but we don’t make the rules.
- Keep the Awkward Potion at the bottom and place a Blaze Powder in the same slot as the Nether Wart was previously in.
- Once the bottle has filled up BOOM you have a Strength Potion!
You can create multiple potions at a time so long as you have the required ingredients.
Want to make your potion a little stronger? With the Potion of Strength in the bottom of your Brewing Stand menu, add a Glowstone Dust to the top slot. The duration will be halved but the effect will become Strength 2!